Are you planning to sell your home this upcoming year? If so, here’s a secret: Don’t wait until spring to get your home ready for prime selling-season!
Over the past several years, I’ve learned that sellers can make the most of the months leading up to a spring home sale by taking a few steps in advance. You can gain an edge on the competition and attract the most motivated buyers by following these steps:
3 Months Before Listing
1) Invite us over for a visit! Without trying to be too forward, invite us over to take a look at your home! To make the most of your preparation, it helps to have a pro that inspires you with confidence and has a proven track record for getting top dollar for homes. Don’t waste your time on someone who only sells a handful of homes each year (tip: the average agent only sells about 2 homes per year – but they won’t tell you that). You want someone that is selling 30, 35, 40+ homes per year (these are what the top one or two agents in an office are selling). We have the best pulse on the current market, we have proven systems, we know how to negotiate with other agents, and we know how to structure the details of an offer to get you the most money. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen inexperienced agents lose their clients $500, $5000, or $10,000 (or put their client’s money at risk) due to minor details that they weren’t even aware of.
2) Put Together a Listing Plan: Once you’ve met with us, you need a plan. We’ll work with you to set priorities so you can make a list of all your to-dos. Focus on one task at a time so you don’t feel overwhelmed.
2 Months Before Listing
1) Call the Inspector (and Handyman): Beat buyers to the punch by getting a pre-sale home inspection. The buyer’s home inspection will likely still find some things, but this allows you to have confidence in the condition of your home, proactively address any potential deal breakers, get bids from contractors, and help you to adjust and budget your timeline accordingly. Here’s the big tip: It will be less expensive to repair or replace something up front than to wait for the buyer to ask for it after their inspection.
2) Freshen it Up: You never get a second chance at a first impression. Spruce up your home with a fresh coat of paint and pay attention to curb appeal. We can also refer a home designer to give a consultation on what to do…or to stage your home. Remember: it doesn’t matter what you like – it matters what potential buyers like.
3) Start Packing: It’s time to roll up your sleeves and part with your belongings (for a little while). Hey, you’re going to have to do it anyways! So, rent a storage unit if needed and remove what you can live without so you can make room for buyers!
2 Weeks Before Listing
1) Make Mr. Clean proud: A deep cleaning will be your last step before we take photos and place a sign in your yard. This is the time to have the carpets cleaned, windows washed, and surfaces sparkling.
2) Landscaping Cleanup: This means having the lawn mowed and edged, bushes trimmed, fresh flowers planted, new landscaping bark/mulch in the beds, and walkways and driveways pressure washed so you can make that great first impression when we hold the first open house.
Don’t wait until spring to knock out your to-do list. Save yourself the stress and get a head start on the competition so you can be the buyer’s first breath of fresh air when spring comes around!
We’d love to assist you as you prepare for the sale of your home. Give us a call today and we’ll help guide you through every step of the process!
Real Estate Broker | Realtor ®
Boardwalk Real Estate, LLC
Phone: (206) 930-7959 | Office: (425) 483-1010
One of Seattle’s Top Real Estate Agents